Institutional Research & Quality Improvement
- Leadership in Strategic Campus Initiatives. IR&QI takes a leadership role in campus-wide efforts that rely on our expertise in the areas of data analytics, research design, continuous improvement, survey administration, planning efforts, cross-functional analysis, as well as metric and indicator identification.
- Consultation & Analysis. Providing consultation and analysis is a central aspect of IR&QI’s efforts to enhance institutional effectiveness. Examples include quality improvement initiatives, data analytics, research design, analytical studies, executing strategic plans, and developing student learning objectives and strategies to reach those objectives. In much of our work, we provide the “contextual knowledge” to the figures, reports, and analyses completed within as well as external to our office.
- Assessment. IR&QI supports the institution’s commitment to continuously improve the conditions that support student learning (both curricular and co-curricular) and demonstrate institutional effectiveness. These functions extend beyond compliance, employing data analysis and interpretation to inform planning and decision-making and to better understand student learning. IR&QI also supports MU’s academic administration and faculty leaders in selected areas of academic program and student learning assessment.
- Essential Reporting. The campus depends on IR&QI’s expertise and resources to complete required federal and state reports as well as provide critical information for regional and professional accreditation efforts. This also includes completing surveys such as US News and Princeton Review, and participating in data exchanges and consortiums which include the AAU Data Exchange, AAUP Faculty Salary Study, and similar efforts.
- Campus and Professional Citizenship. IR&QI devotes appropriate energy toward serving the campus, external agencies, and professional associations. This ranges from campus committees (e.g., Higher Learning Commission accreditation; Carnegie Community Engagement designation; etc.) to state-wide task forces (e.g., Missouri Department of Higher Education performance funding metrics, etc.) to serving on the board of affiliated professional associations (e.g., AAU Data Exchange, Network for Change and Continuous Innovation, Association for Institutional Research, etc.). All of these efforts depend on dedicated and talented services of those willing to service, and IR&QI takes this role seriously.
Note: If we are unable to fulfill a request due to limited resources or a focus on priority campus initiatives, we will work with you to identify other resources and/or units on and off campus that may be able to assist you.